America Recycles Day is coming up this weekend, on Sunday November 15! With recycling being at the core of what we do, from our fabrics to our dye water, we love celebrating ARD and spreading awareness each year. In case you are unfamiliar with the holiday, here's a little more about it!
The History Behind America Recycles Day
ARD roots go back to the state of Texas. Yes, Texas. Texas Recycles Day began in 1994 as the brainchild of two employees at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality: Kevin Tuerff and Valerie Davis. Their idea was to promote recycling through a campaign to boost recycling in the state. When Kevin and Valerie left their state jobs and started an environmental-focused public relations and advertising agency, they proposed transforming Texas Recycles Day into America Recycles Day. They presented the concept at the National Recycling Coalition’s (NRC’s) Congress, and it was embraced immediately. The first national run of America Recycles Day was set for November 15th, 1997.
We've Come a Long Way Since 1997
- It's estimated that 94% of Americans support recycling.
- In 2017, around 3,000,000 (yes, million) tons of plastic were recycled, compared to only 370,000 tons in 1990.
- The states with the highest recycling rates include Vermont, Oregon, Massachusetts, New York, South Dakota, Minnesota, Connecticut, New Hampshire, California, and Rhode Island.
From 2003 to 2012, San Francisco had managed to reuse, recycle, or compost 80% of its waste.
But, We Still Have Progress to Make
- The US currently has over 2,000 landfills.
- The US generated 267 million tons of municipal solid waste in 2017, with over half of that waste ending up in landfills.
- It’s estimated that 75% of the waste in the US could be recycled.
How We're Celebrating This Year
One way we embrace recycling is through our recycled polyester and recycled nylon fabrics, used in our ReACTIVE products! These fabrics keep plastics from entering and polluting our oceans. Purchasing recycled clothing is a step in the right direction towards incorporating recycling and recycled products into your everyday life. So, we're having an exclusive, email-only sale! Be sure you're subscribed to our email list for access.